Cowboys and Demons

Romance Writer and Domestic Goddess with Delusions of Grandeur.

I Won!

I was utterly, totally, amazingly amazed when I opened an email the other day and found out I placed 2nd in the 'Some Like It Hot' writing competition hosted by author Tawny Taylor and Ellora's Cave editor Grace Bradley! http://tawnytaylor.net/ My husband got to watch me do the happy dance and my grin stretched from ear to ear. I entered the contest on a whim and a dare, never imagining that me (total newbie writer) would not only make it as a finalist, but place 2nd. 

The story I entered, Wild Lilly-Western Erotic Romance-, is the 2nd book I've written. I had a hell of a good time writing it and the characters quickly took on a life of their own. I love the field of erotic romance, I can write a good love story, and not have to leave the room and turn off the lights when my characters enjoy the physical and emotional aspects of that love. And who doesn't love a good cowboy?-see pic on the sidebar, Yum-

The first book I wrote and submitted to publishers is a paranormal romance that was a HUGE learning experience for me. Lots of re-writes(three months of self-editing later, its actually a great story), lots of realizing I should have paid more attention in English class, and lots of total newbie mistakes. After sending out the first rough draft (yes-newbie mistake) and getting a couple form letters from agents, I realized I needed to approach writing as a business and a passion. So I read websites, I read books, I read blogs, I joined a critique group, and I tried to apply all the science of getting a good story out of your head and onto paper.

At one point I was ready to give up after a not so nice rejection on my first MS totally crushed me. This may sound weird but bear with me, I was changing my 7 month olds diaper and he was laughing and giggling at me with the total adoration that only babies can have for their loved ones. I couldn't help but smile back at him and I had one of those rare 'ah-hah' moments. I couldn't give up. How in the world was I ever going to be able to tell my children to stick with their dreams, no matter how tough it gets, if I caved after one nasty email from some chick that really needed to get laid(subjective opinion).

I can't tell you how much of a needed confirmation this opportunity is. When I decided to focus my work on Erotic Romance, I got totally poo poo'd by my nearest and dearest(aside from hubby) and when I talked about wanting to write for ePubs I got even more slack. The most popular comment was 'That's great, but when are you going to write a real book?' -head to desk/repeat-.

So I started a one person campaign with my nearest and dearest to show them that Erotic Romance and ePublishing are legit. I showed them websites, sales figures, books, etc etc etc. One by one, they came around, and it wasn't because of my awesome sales presentation. It started with my Mom letting me know that all the ladies she works with have e-readers, and a few even admitted to owning books from Ellora's Cave. Then my SIL said she noticed at her kids soccer game the other day that almost every Mom there had an e-reader. Soon it became the blue car syndrome with my family, IE you don't know how many blue cars you see everyday until you actually look for them-and then they appear to be everywhere. Add to that my retired Dad following the e-reader and ePublisher trends, and all the news articles about what a big chunk of the industry they are becoming, and my family is now investing in companies that make e-readers.

Where was I before I started preaching the ePublishing gospel? Ah yes, so anyways, I'm totally and completely excited to have the opportunity to present my Western Erotic Romance to Ms. Bradley. Who, I might add, is a total class act and never made me feel like a moron for asking total newbie author questions. I hope that someday I will be able to make you laugh, smile, and sigh with my work. I can think of nothing more exciting than sharing my stories with you and taking you away to worlds filled with passion, romance, humor, and men and women who deserve a perfect love. Thanks for taking the time to read my rambling, I hope that it strengthens another new writer out there and helps them to follow their dream.

Don't give up! You can do it! :D

2 comments:

Congratulations Ann!
Thank you for sharing the fun & informative post.
I hadn't thought of investing in ereader companies - that's very savvy.
All the best,
RKCharron

 

Thanks RK :) For investment, keep an eye open for eReader companies that are putting out a low priced/high quality product(duh). After the booming eReader sales that are predicted this Christmas, more companies will be jumping on the eReader bandwagon.

 

Post a Comment